Volunteer Midwife Program
Volunteer Midwives spend anywhere from two weeks to two months living and working in Kasana, Uganda, providing direct clinical care alongside our team of Ugandan midwives, doula and onsite lab technician. We are a low volume, freestanding birth center, with 20-30 births per month, so much of our medical volunteers’ work will be to provide antenatal and postnatal care to our clients.
View our Volunteer Midwife Job Description for more details.
We accept the following midwifery designations
- Registered Midwives (RM)
- Certified Midwives (CM)
- Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM)
- Certified Professional Midwives (CPM)
- Licensed Midwives (LM)
Who You Are
You are passionate about women’s health and rights. You wish to support the work of our existing staff while modeling respectful, compassionate, evidence based midwifery care with clients. You are comfortable working collaboratively, respectfully and gently at the Shanti Uganda Birth House, and with reporting to the Country Director and Head Midwife.
Basic Qualifications & Skills
- Degree from accredited institution of midwifery or nursing and an active medical license
- Minimum one year experience as a Primary Midwife and/or attended at least 25 births in that capacity
- Must be legally recognized from the jurisdiction where you practice in your home country, and will only be allowed to practice within your same scope at Shanti Uganda
- Desire to support and work collaboratively with our existing clinical staff
- Ability to be flexible, patient, respectful and non-judgemental, with strong cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Strong self-awareness of bias and assumptions, as well as willingness to challenge them
- Ability to live in a rural and rustic setting with shared housing and meals – this means bunk beds, cold showers, latrines (squat toilets), slow internet and limited creature comforts
- Deep passion for women’s health and empowerment
- Willingness to relocate to Kasana, Uganda for a minimum of two weeks
- Experience working in low-resource areas or having cross-cultural experience is an asset
What We Provide
- Valuable professional experience and opportunities to learn from our incredible staff and community at Shanti Uganda
- Pre-departure logistics support and preparation
- Pick up and drop off from Entebbe International Airport
- Comprehensive in-country orientation
- Fundraising information and resources
- Shared accommodation at the Shanti Uganda Volunteer House with our Head Midwife’s family
- Wireless internet
- Lunch at the Birth House
- In-house cook who prepares dinner Monday – Friday
- Ongoing support from our in-country staff throughout the volunteer process
- A lasting and deep connection to a wonderful community of staff, interns, volunteers, board members and many others all over the world
What We Do Not Provide
- Flight or travel costs
- In-country transportation costs (excluding airport transfers)
- Food costs (Shanti provides lunch and a cook for dinner, but not breakfast)
- Extra drinks (soft drinks, alcohol, etc)
- Ugandan Tourist Visa ($50 USD)
- Travel and medical insurance (MANDATORY)
- Professional malpractice insurance (OPTIONAL)
Your fees go towards ensuring your volunteer placement goes as smoothly as possible and covering costs associated with hosting you in country. All remaining fees go directly to our work supporting respectful midwifery care in Uganda.
- 1 – 3 weeks: $500 CAD/week
- 4 weeks or more: $1000 CAD/month
Many volunteers also choose to raise funds in support of Shanti Uganda before they go – volunteers have contributed thousands of dollars towards our programs. Contact us on ways to get involved before you leave!
How to Apply
- Fill out our Application Form
- Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- In your cover letter detail how your skills and expertise will add value to our programs
- Successful applicants must submit:
- A note of mental and physical health from a health professional
- A basic criminal record check from your home country (for Canadians, please submit a Vulnerable Sectors Check).
- A liability & media release form.