Shanti Uganda is accepting interns for work placements in Uganda. Come live, work, travel and experience life in Uganda while gaining professional skills and supporting maternal health.
Please note: we are currently not accepting internship applications. We thank you for your interest and encourage you to check back soon.
Who You Are
You are passionate about conscious activism, sustainable international development, maternal health, and the empowerment of women on a global scale. You are motivated, innovative, and willing to learn and grow beside our leaders in Uganda. You understand the importance of self-awareness, communicate openly, embrace change, and are driven by your commitment to others. You celebrate the idea of living in a rural setting, are flexible and adaptable, and you can embrace living without the “creature comforts” of home.
Basic Qualifications & Skills
- Education or degree in a relevant field; students in their 3rd and 4th years are encouraged to apply as well.
- Relevant experience includes: International Development, Communications, Public/Global Health, Education, Nursing and others.
- Deep passion for women’s health and empowerment
- Willingness to relocate to Kasana, Uganda for a minimum of 4 months
- Strong cultural awareness and humility
- Ability to live and work in a rural and rustic setting*
* This means living without the comforts of home. There will be cold water showers, bunk beds, slow internet and limited personal space
What We Provide
- Pre-departure logistics support and preparation
- Pick up and drop off from Entebbe International Airport
- Comprehensive in-country orientation
- Shared accommodation at the Shanti Uganda Volunteer House with our Head Midwife’s family
- Wireless internet
- In-house cook who prepares dinner Monday – Friday
- Note: participants contribute about $6 USD for dinner weekly
- Supply of filtered water at both the Volunteer House and Birth House
- Ongoing mentoring and support from our in-country staff throughout the internship process
- Fundraising information and resources
- Valuable professional experience and opportunities to learn from our incredible staff and community at Shanti Uganda
- A lasting and deep connection to a wonderful community of staff, interns, volunteers, board members and many others all over the world
What We Do Not Provide
- Flight or travel costs
- In-country transportation costs (excluding airport transfers)
- Food costs (for breakfast, dinner costs, snacks, soft drinks, etc.)
- Ugandan Tourist Visa ($50 USD)
- Travel and medical insurance (MANDATORY)
Your fees go towards ensuring your volunteer placement goes as smoothly as possible and covering costs associated with hosting you in country. All remaining fees go directly to our work supporting respectful midwifery care in Uganda.
- 1 month: $600 CAD non-refundable deposit
- Remaining placement term : $600 CAD/month
Many volunteers also choose to raise funds in support of Shanti Uganda before they go – volunteers have contributed thousands of dollars towards our programs. Contact us on ways to get involved before you leave!