Shanti Uganda is accepting interns for work placements in Uganda. Come live, work, travel and experience life in Uganda while gaining professional skills and supporting maternal health.
Winter Internship Dates: Jan 1 – April 30*
Summer Internship Dates: May 1 – Aug 31*
Fall Internship Dates: Sept 1 – Dec 20*
*There is some flexibility in exact placement dates. Let us know if you need to adjust the start or end dates, or length of time.
Current Internship Positions
- Permaculture Design Internship *NEW*
- Content and Communications Intern
- Programs and M&E Intern
- Assistant Country Director Intern
- Research or Independent Study
Please read more on our positions here: Shanti Uganda Internship Posting.
Who You Are
You are passionate about conscious activism, sustainable international development, maternal health, and the empowerment of women on a global scale. You are motivated, innovative, and willing to learn and grow beside our leaders in Uganda. You understand the importance of self-awareness, communicate openly, embrace change, and are driven by your commitment to others. You celebrate the idea of living in a rural setting, are flexible and adaptable, and you can embrace living without the “creature comforts” of home.
Basic Qualifications & Skills
- Education or degree in a relevant field; students in their 3rd and 4th years are encouraged to apply as well.
- Relevant experience includes: International Development, Communications, Public/Global Health, Education, Nursing and others.
- Deep passion for women’s health and empowerment
- Willingness to relocate to Kasana, Uganda for a minimum of 4 months
- Strong cultural awareness and humility
- Ability to live and work in a rural and rustic setting*
* This means living without the comforts of home. There will be cold water showers, bunk beds, slow internet and limited personal space
What We Provide
- Pre-departure logistics support and preparation
- Pick up and drop off from Entebbe International Airport
- Comprehensive in-country orientation
- Shared accommodation at the Shanti Uganda Volunteer House with our Head Midwife’s family
- Prepared lunch, Mon – Fri
- Wireless internet
- Fundraising information and resources
- Valuable professional experience and opportunities to learn from our incredible staff and community at Shanti Uganda
- Ongoing mentoring and support from our in-country staff throughout the internship process
- A lasting and deep connection to a wonderful community of staff, interns, volunteers, board members and many others all over the world
What We Do Not Provide
- Flight or travel costs
- In-country transportation costs (excluding airport transfers)
- Extra drinks besides water
- Ugandan Tourist Visa ($50 USD)
- Travel and medical insurance (MANDATORY)
- Food costs (excluding lunch; we also provide dinner Mon -Fri for about $6 USD a week)
Your fees go towards ensuring your volunteer placement goes as smoothly as possible and covering costs associated with hosting you in country. All remaining fees go directly to our work supporting respectful midwifery care in Uganda.
- 1 month: $600 CAD non-refundable deposit
- Remaining placement term : $600 CAD/month
Many volunteers also choose to raise funds in support of Shanti Uganda before they go – volunteers have contributed thousands of dollars towards our programs. Contact us on ways to get involved before you leave!
How To Apply
- Fill out our Application Form
- Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- In your cover letter detail how your skills and expertise will add value to our programs
- Successful applicants must submit:
- A note of mental and physical health from a health professional
- A basic criminal record check from your home country (for Canadians, please submit a Vulnerable Sectors Check).
- A liability & media release form.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, so apply early to secure your spot!