Shanti Uganda is accepting interns for various work placements in Uganda. Come live, work, travel and experience one of the most beautiful and friendly countries in the world all while gaining real skills and supporting maternal health in the process.
Volunteer In Uganda
Winter Internship Dates – Jan 1 – April 30 2017*
Summer Internship Dates – May 1 – Aug 31 2017*
Fall Internship Dates – Sept 1 – Dec 31 2017*
*There is some flexibility in exact placement dates. Let us know if you need to adjust the start or end dates, or length of time. Preference is given to applicants who can commit to a 4-6 month placement.
Current Internship Positions
- Content & Communications Coordinator
- Assistant Project Coordinator
- Development & Partnership Coordinator
- Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator
- Education Specialist / Researcher
Please read more our positions here: Shanti Uganda Internship Posting.
Who You Are
You are a risk taker, a creative visionary and you believe in the great potential of small grassroots organizations. You are passionate about conscious activism, sustainable international development, maternal health and the empowerment of women on a global scale. You are motivated, innovative and willing to commit to the long-term growth of a grassroots organization with a big on-the-ground impact. You understand the importance of self-inquiry, communicate openly, embrace change and possibility and are driven by your commitment to others. You celebrate the idea of living in a rural setting, are eternally flexible and adaptable and you can embrace occasional power and water shortages.
Basic Qualifications & Skills
- Education or degree in relevant field (International Development, Communications, Public Health, Education, Nursing and others). Students in their 3rd and 4th years are considered for some positions.
- Deep passion for women’s health and empowerment
- Willingness to relocate to Kasana, Uganda for minimum of 4 months
- Strong cultural awareness and ability to live in a rural and rustic setting
What We Provide
- Valuable professional experience and opportunities to learn from our incredible staff and community at Shanti Uganda
- Ongoing mentoring and support throughout the internship process
- Shared accommodation at the Shanti Uganda Volunteer House
- Pick up and drop off to the airport
- Pre-departure logistics support as well as support after you return home
- A lasting and deep connection to a wonderful community of staff, interns, volunteers, board members and many others all over the world
Successful applicants will be responsible for contributing a $600CAD/month placement fee, which will provide them with shared accommodation in Shanti Uganda’s Volunteer House, airport pickup and drop off, ongoing support and evaluation from our Project Coordinator in Uganda and a volunteer manual.
A non-refundable deposit of $600 is required upon acceptance in order to secure the successful candidate’s placement. The remaining balance must be paid one month before arrival in Uganda.
A portion of your fees go directly toward supporting our maternal health programs. Many volunteers also choose to raise funds in support of Shanti Uganda before they go – volunteer bake sales, pub nights and silent auctions have all contributed thousands of dollars towards our programs. Contact us on ways to get involved before you leave!
All interns will contribute a 35hr workweek and are encouraged to travel on weekends.
How To Apply
- Fill out our Application Form
- Send a cover letter and resume to our Project Coordinator in Uganda at email@example.com
- Successful applicants must submit a note of mental and physical health from a health professional, basic criminal record check from your home country and a liability & media release form.