Become a Board Member
We are currently accepting applications for new Board Members:
Who you are
You’re a risk taker, a creative visionary and you believe in the great potential of alternative funding models. You are passionate about conscious activism, International Development, Maternal Health and the Empowerment of Women on a global scale.
You are motivated, innovative and willing to commit to the long-term growth of a grassroots community based organization. You are willing to activate your connections and bring new ones to the organization and you have a proven history of leading initiatives from start to finish. You understand the importance of self-inquiry, communicate openly, embrace change and possibility and are driven by your selfless commitment to others.
Board Member Contributions
- Attend monthly board meetings held in Vancouver, in addition to occasional planning meetings and community and fundraising events.
- Take an active role in learning about and being committed to the Society’s mission, services, programs, policies and by-laws.
- Prepare for meetings by reviewing the agenda and reading background materials and contribute to discussions at meetings and in between meetings via email/phone.
- Engage in the planning and success of multiple fundraising events throughout the year.
- Play an active role in establishing and exceeding fundraising goals.
- Assist the Board and organization in carrying out its responsibilities and support and inspire staff in their goals.
- Represent Shanti Uganda, share our story and inspire others to act.
Your Qualifications and Experience
We welcome a diverse range of skills, experience and background, both professional and personal. Currently looking for those with experience and skills in the following areas:
Seeking individuals with experience in human resources, event planning, charity law, financial management, fundraising, communications and strategy, midwifery/maternal health, international development
Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all staff and board members
Interest in working in nonprofit and social innovation environment
Deep interest in and passion for Maternal Health & International Development
Previous experience with a non-profit and/or Board of Directors and strategic planning an asset.
A team player and visionary with strong decision making skills
Well developed communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
Benefits of Joining Our Team
- Make a sustainable, inspired, empowered contribution to the health and well being of Ugandan women and their communities. Witness the deep impact of your involvement on an ongoing basis.
- Have the opportunity to impact the mission of this organization at a critical time in its development.
- Join other dynamic leaders committed to global change and experience the power of deep, sustainable, conscious activism.
Board Members serve for either a two or three year term and contribute approximately 5 hours each week in addition to attending a monthly board meeting, occasional planning meetings and fundraising events throughout the year.
Minimum commitment of two years is required.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email email@example.com.