Shanti Uganda is accepting interns for work placements in Uganda. Come live, work, travel and experience one of the most beautiful and friendly countries in the world all while gaining real skills and supporting maternal health in the process.
Winter Internship Dates – Jan 1 – April 30*
Summer Internship Dates – May 1 – Aug 31*
Fall Internship Dates – Sept 1 – Dec 20*
*There is some flexibility in exact placement dates. Let us know if you need to adjust the start or end dates, or length of time. Applicants must commit to at least a 4 month placement.
Current Internship Positions
- Content and Communications Intern
- Programs and M&E Intern
- Assistant Country Director Intern
- Research or Independent Study
Please read more our positions here: Shanti Uganda Internship Posting.
Who You Are
You are passionate about conscious activism, sustainable international development, maternal health, the empowerment of women on a global scale. You are motivated, innovative and willing to learn and grow beside our leaders in Uganda. You understand the importance of self-awareness, communicate openly, embrace change and are driven by your commitment to others. You celebrate the idea of living in a rural setting, are eternally flexible and adaptable and you can embrace living without the “creature comforts” of home.
Basic Qualifications & Skills
- Education or degree in relevant field (International Development, Communications, Public/Global Health, Education, Nursing and others). Students in their 3rd and 4th years are considered for some positions.
- Deep passion for women’s health and empowerment
- Willingness to relocate to Kasana, Uganda for minimum of 4 months
- Strong cultural awareness and humility
- Ability to live and work in a rural and rustic setting
- This means living without the creature comforts of home: cold water showers, bunk beds, slow internet and limited personal space
What We Provide
- Valuable professional experience and opportunities to learn from our incredible staff and community at Shanti Uganda
- Pre-departure logistics support and preparation
- Volunteer Manual
- Fundraising information and resources
- Shared accommodation at the Shanti Uganda Volunteer House
- Wireless internet
- Pick up and drop off to the airport (Entebbe International Airport)
- Ongoing mentoring and support from our in-country staff throughout the internship process
- A lasting and deep connection to a wonderful community of staff, interns, volunteers, board members and many others all over the world
Interns will be responsible for contributing a $600CAD/month placement fee
A non-refundable deposit of $600CAD is needed to reserve your spot in our Volunteer House. The remaining balance must be paid one month before arrival in Uganda.
Your fees go directly toward supporting our maternal health programs and ensuring your volunteer placement is successful.
Many interns also choose to raise funds in support of Shanti Uganda before they go – volunteer bake sales, pub nights and silent auctions have all contributed thousands of dollars towards our programs. Contact us on ways to get involved before you leave!
How To Apply
- Fill out our Application Form
- Send a cover letter and resume to our Operations Director, Kate Hyde at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Successful applicants must submit a note of mental and physical health from a health professional, basic criminal record check from your home country and a liability & media release form.