Postpartum Doula Training Retreat
March 6-15th, 2018 on the beautiful grounds of Shanti Uganda
DONA International Postpartum Doula Training Retreat with Jesse Remer of Mother Tree International is a 10 day, life changing experience on the grounds of the Shanti Uganda Birth House in Luwero, Uganda. Become a DONA Certified Postpartum Doula, learn about Shanti Uganda’s successful model of care and experience one of the most beautiful and friendly countries in the world. The retreat includes a comprehensive training, accommodation and freshly prepared meals, a rhino safari and the opportunity to connect to an amazing community.
Special Retreat Activities
This is not your average doula training. Attendees get to experience the beauty and peace of Uganda which is unlike anywhere else in the world all while supporting our work at Shanti Uganda.
- Listen to our Head Midwife describe birthing practices in Uganda and her 30+ years of experience as a midwife
- Spend an afternoon with our resident Traditional Birth Attendant/Doula at her home
- Learn about the use of traditional medicinal plants from Shanti Uganda’s local herbalist
- Track endangered rhinos on an afternoon walking safari
- Attend a traditional bonfire with our Shanti Uganda family
Who Should Attend
Aspiring or existing doulas, student midwives, medical students, perinatal therapists, and birth workers of any stripe. We welcome those with an existing practice and previous experience, but no experience is necessary other than a deep passion for pregnancy, childbirth and supporting birthing women and their families.
100% of the proceeds of this trip support Shanti Uganda’s work to improve infant and maternal health throughout Uganda. When you register for this training you are directly contributing to the health of moms and families in this community.
Non-East African Residents: $2,000 USD. A $500 USD nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit is required upon registration to reserve your spot. Remaining fee $1500 USD is due by February 15th, 2018.
East African Residents Special in country price of $700USD
+ $45 USD Optional add on for Rhino Safari
+ $100 USD Optional add on for First and Last Night’s Stay in Entebbe w/ Airport Transfer
- DONA International Certified Postpartum Doula Training with Jesse Remer
- Nine Nights Accommodation (double occupancy, including our last night at the Entebbe Wildlife Centre!)
- In Country Travel (including transport to and from the airport)
- Most Meals
- DONA International Course Manual & Certificate of Attendance
- Lecture with Shanti’s Head Midwife, Agriculturalist and Traditional Birth Attendant
- Bonfire and traditional Ugandan drumming event
- Zhiwa Rhino Sanctuary Entrance Fee
- Overnight stay at the Uganda Wildlife Education Center
- Medical Insurance
- Ugandan Tourist Visa ($50 USD)
- Vaccinations & Medications
- Personal Spending
- Additional Snacks & Drinks
About Instructor, Jesse Remer
Jesse is a visionary in the field of integrated women’s healthcare. She brings her skills as a doula, trainer, educator, speaker, writer, change agent and resource to support the creation of new models of maternity care. For the past decade she has supported healthy birth outcomes as a Lamaze Childbirth Educator, DONA International Birth and Postpartum Doula Trainer and Founder of Mother Tree International. She has supported thousands of families and doulas in the childbearing year.
As a leader in the field, she was on the leadership clinical design team for Providence Health Systems Pregnancy Care Package and became the first staff doula of their integrated healthcare model. She is a founding member of the Oregon Doula Association (ODA) and chair of the Policy and Advocacy Committee. She is a liaison to the State of Oregon Traditional Healthcare Workers Systems Integration subcommittee working on creating sustainable systems of doula support within the system. She has worked for multiple health systems to improve health equity.
How to Attend
For more information, including how to register for our training, please fill out the form below and you will be contacted by our Operations Director, Kate Hyde. Please feel free to reach out to her with any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org.