Doula Training Retreat
October 2018 (Dates TBA) on the beautiful grounds of Shanti Uganda
The Shanti Uganda Doula Training Retreat is a 10 day, life changing experience on the grounds of the Shanti Uganda Birth House in Luwero, Uganda. Become a Certified Doula, learn about Shanti Uganda’s successful model of care and experience one of the most beautiful and friendly countries in the world. The retreat includes a comprehensive training, accommodation and freshly prepared meals, a rhino safari and the opportunity to connect to an amazing community.
Special Retreat Activities
This is not your average doula training. Attendees get to experience the beauty and peace of Uganda which is unlike anywhere else in the world all while supporting our work at Shanti Uganda.
- Listen to our Head Midwife describe birthing practices in Uganda and her 30+ years of experience as a midwife
- Spend an afternoon with our resident Traditional Birth Attendant/Doula at her home
- Learn about the use of traditional medicinal plants from Shanti Uganda’s local herbalist
- Track endangered rhinos on an afternoon walking safari
- Attend a traditional bonfire with our Shanti Uganda family
Who Should Attend
Aspiring or existing doulas, student midwives, medical students, perinatal therapists, and birth workers of any stripe. We welcome those with an existing practice and previous experience, but no experience is necessary other than a deep passion for pregnancy, childbirth and supporting birthing women and their families.
100% of the proceeds of this trip support Shanti Uganda’s work to improve infant and maternal health throughout Uganda. When you register for this training you are directly contributing to the health of moms and families in this community.
Non-East African Residents:
- $500 nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit
- + $2175 Training Fee
- = $2675 CAD Total
Sign up with a friend and each participant gets $250CAD off their fee – a $500 value!
East African Residents:
- Special in country price of $700USD
- + $45 USD Optional add on for Rhino Safari +
- + $100 USD Optional add on for First and Last Night’s Stay in Entebbe w/ Airport Transfer
Up to two, $1,000CAD scholarships are available this year for doulas or aspiring doulas who are doing good work in their community. Deadline to apply is Friday May 26th with notification of acceptance by June 1st, 2017. Scholarships are $1000 off our fee, but participants must still pay the remaining $1675CAD fee and all associated travel costs. Fill out our Scholarship Application today!
- Nine Nights Accommodation (double occupancy, including our last night at the Entebbe Wildlife Centre!)
- In Country Travel (including transport to and from the airport)
- Most Meals
- Certified Doula Training
- Course Manual & Certificate of Attendance
- Lecture with Shanti’s Head Midwife, Agriculturalist and Traditional Birth Attendant
- Bonfire and traditional Ugandan drumming event
- Zhiwa Rhino Sanctuary Entrance Fee
- Overnight stay at the Uganda Wildlife Education Center
- Medical Insurance
- Ugandan Tourist Visa ($50 USD)
- Vaccinations & Medications
- Personal Spending
- Additional Snacks & Drinks
How to Attend For more information, including how to register for our training, please fill out the form below and you will be contacted by our Operations Director, Kate Hyde. Please feel free to reach out to her with any questions or concerns: email@example.com.