Become a Birth Arts International Certified Doula while supporting Shanti Uganda
Doula Training Retreat
September 18-26th, 2017 on the beautiful grounds of Shanti Uganda
The Shanti Uganda Birth Arts International Doula Training Retreat is a 10 day, life changing experience on the grounds of the Shanti Uganda Birth House in Luwero, Uganda. Become a BAI Certified Doula, learn about Shanti Uganda’s successful model of care and experience one of the most beautiful and friendly countries in the world. The retreat includes a comprehensive training, accommodation and freshly prepared meals, a rhino safari and the opportunity to connect to an amazing community.
- The physiology and psychology of the childbearing year
- Explaining and understanding risk in childbirth
- Working with abuse survivors
- Best practices in pregnancy and birth
- Twins, breech and vaginal birth after Cesarean (vbac) births
- History of midwifery, labor support, and childbirth education on the western world
- The rise of the Cesarean
- Politics of childbirth and the birth room
- How to work with other birth professionals in various settings and environments
- Working at an out of hospital birth
- Supporting a family during a stillbirth or infant loss
- Emergency childbirth measures
- How to set up a profitable and legal birth business
This workshop fulfills the requirement for an in-person doula training needed for certification with Birth Arts International and all fees to complete certification with Birth Arts International are included. You will receive your training manual and certification paperwork in Uganda.
Our workshop attendees have the opportunity to learn from our wonderful staff and engage in activities specific to Shanti Uganda. These include listening to our head midwife describe birthing practices in Uganda, attending a talk by our resident Traditional Birth Attendant/Doula, learning from Shanti Uganda’s local herbalist about the use of traditional medicinal plants, tracking rhinos on an afternoon walking safari and attending a bonfire with our Shanti Uganda family.
Who Should Attend
Aspiring doulas, student midwives, medical students, perinatal therapists, and birth workers of any other stripe, as well as those with an existing practice and previous experience.
No experience is necessary other than a deep passion for pregnancy, childbirth and supporting birthing women and their families.
100% of the proceeds of this trip support Shanti Uganda’s work to improve infant and maternal health and to provide safe, mother-centered care in the District of Luwero, Uganda. When you register for this course you are directly contributing to the improvement of infant and maternal health in this community.
Total program fees are $2675 CAD. A $500 nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit is required upon registration to reserve your spot.
Sign up with a friend and each participant gets $250CAD off their fee – a $500 value!
Up to two, $1,000CAD scholarships are available this year for doulas or aspiring doulas who are doing good work in their community. Deadline to apply is Friday May 26th with notification of acceptance by June 1st, 2017. Scholarships are $1000 off our fee, but participants must still pay the remaining $1675CAD fee and all associated travel costs. Fill out our Scholarship Application today!
- Nine Nights Accommodation (double occupancy, including our last night at the Entebbe Wildlife Centre!)
- In Country Travel (including transport to and from the airport)
- Most Meals
- Certified Doula Training from Birth Arts International
- Birth Arts International Course Manual & Certificate of Attendance
- Portfolio review fee to Birth Arts International
- Lecture with Shanti’s Head Midwife, Agriculturalist and Traditional Birth Attendant
- Bonfire and traditional Ugandan drumming event
- Zhiwa Rhino Sanctuary Entrance Fee
- Overnight stay at the Uganda Wildlife Education Center
- Medical Insurance
- Vaccinations & Medications
- Personal Spending
- Additional Snacks & Drinks
How to Attend
For more information, including how to register for our training, please fill out the form below and you will be contacted by our Operations Director, Kate Hyde. Please feel free to reach out to her with any questions or concerns: email@example.com.