Is your heart filled with love for pregnant women? Have you wanted to support them in their pregnancy and birth experience using both time honoured and cutting edge techniques?
Doula Training Retreat
September 18-26th, 2017 on the beautiful grounds of Shanti Uganda
The Shanti Uganda Birth Arts International Doula Training Retreat is a 10 day, life changing experience on the grounds of the Shanti Uganda Birth House in Luwero, Uganda. Become a BAI Certified Doula, learn about Shanti Uganda’s successful model of care and experience one of the most beautiful and friendly countries in the world. The retreat includes a comprehensive training taught by two experienced birth educators, accommodation and freshly prepared meals, a rhino safari and the opportunity to connect to an amazing community.
- Working in an international environment
- Cross cultural work in your home community
- How to work with other birth professionals in various settings and environments
- History of midwifery, labor support, and childbirth education on the western world
- The rise of the Cesarean
- Politics of childbirth and the birth room
- The physiology and psychology of the childbearing year
- Explaining and understanding risk in childbirth
- Working with abuse survivors
- Supporting a family during a stillbirth or infant loss
- Emergency childbirth measures
- Twins, breech and vaginal birth after Cesarean (vbac) births
- Best practices in pregnancy and birth
- Working at an out of hospital birth
- How to set up a profitable and legal birth business
This workshop fulfills the requirement for an in-person doula training needed for certification with Birth Arts International and all fees to complete certification with Birth Arts International are included. You will receive your training manual and certification paperwork in Uganda.
Our workshop attendees have the opportunity to learn from our wonderful staff, and neighbouring healthcare professionals, and engage in activities specific to Shanti Uganda. These include listening to our head midwife describe birthing practices in Uganda, attending a talk by our resident Traditional Birth Attendant/Doula, describing her role in modern Ugandan childbirth, visiting the local government hospital, learning from Shanti Uganda’s local herbalist about the use of traditional medicinal plants, tracking rhinos on an afternoon walking safari, visiting a traditional drum store, and attending a bonfire with our Shanti Uganda family.
Who Should Attend
Aspiring doulas, student midwives, medical students, perinatal therapists, and birth workers of any other stripe, as well as those with an existing practice and previous experience
No experience is necessary other than a deep passion for pregnancy, childbirth and supporting birthing women and their families. This training is especially relevant for those who work or desire to work internationally, or within a community cross cultural environment.
100% of the proceeds of this trip support Shanti Uganda’s work to improve infant and maternal health and to provide safe, mother-centered care in the District of Luwero, Uganda. When you register for this course you are directly contributing to the improvement of infant and maternal health in this community.
Total program fees are $2675 CAD. A $500 nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit is required upon registration to reserve your spot.
$1,000CAD scholarship available: apply here
- Nine Nights Accommodation (double occupancy, including our last night at the Entebbe Wildlife Centre!)
- In Country Travel (including transport to and from the airport)
- All Meals
- Certified Doula Training from Birth Arts International
- Birth Arts International Course Manual & Certificate of Attendance
- Portfolio review fee to Birth Arts International
- Lecture with Shanti’s Head Midwife, Agriculturalist and Traditional Birth Attendant
- Bonfire and traditional Ugandan drumming event
- Zhiwa Rhino Sanctuary Entrance Fee
- Overnight stay at the Uganda Wildlife Education Center
- Medical Insurance
- Innoculations & Medications
- Personal Spending
- Additional Snacks & Drinks
How to Attend
For more information, including how to register for our training, please fill out the form below and you will be contacted by our Operations Director, Kate Hyde. Please feel free to reach out to her with any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org.