Shanti’s Impact to Date
Uganda has one of the highest fertility rates in the world, with an average of six children per woman. Additionally, 33% of women will have their first child before the age of 18. Approximately 16 women die giving birth every day in Uganda and adolescent pregnancies are at particularly high risk for complications and death. However, with access to a skilled midwife, 90% of all maternal mortality is completely preventable. It is Shanti’s mission to provide skilled midwives to all of our clients in a safe, nurturing, and empowering environment.
With the assistance and care of six registered Ugandan Midwives, one Traditional Birth Attendant and a Lab Technician, 20-30 babies are born at Shanti each month. These women are highly valued at the Birth House as their training is exceptional and uncommon. In Uganda, only 38% of midwives are fully qualified which often results in an inability to deal with complicated births.
We are so grateful to have trained and experienced midwives at Shanti who are able to facilitate the following excellent services:
- An onsite laboratory for pregnant mothers, as well as their partners, testing and treatment of HIV/AIDS and STIs
- Full prenatal care services (counseling, educational workshops, weekly prenatal yoga classes, and nutrition and agriculture workshops)
- Labour services in a private, home like setting with access to our emergency vehicle should complications arise
- Full postnatal care services (onsite infant immunizations and family planning counseling and methods)
- Monthly continuing education workshops for midwives and Traditional Birth Attendants
These services are valued by our clients as privacy, safety, respectful care and education are limited in many Ugandan health care facilities.
It is with great pleasure that we share with you our progress within the maternal health program. It is with your support and interest in this project, that we have been able expand our services and provide excellent woman-centered care.
- The number of clients tested for HIV has grown nearly 5 times!
- The number of our admissions has increased from 32 people per year, to over 230 people per year!
- There have been a total of 927 live births!
- There have been 2,395 postnatal visits!
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for supporting our maternal health program. It is with your continuous help that we have been able to greatly progress over the years, providing a safe, nurturing, and empowering environment for mothers to birth their babies.
This Thanksgiving, empower women in Uganda and help provide a safe and respectful birthing journey for all mothers. There are so many ways to give, continue Shanti’s impact: Donate Now.