Our Women’s Income Generating Group is given the support, tools, and environment to succeed and provide for themselves. We proudly employ HIV positive mothers and grandmothers to craft our artisanal products, and gain the business acumen to thrive.
About the Program: Women living with HIV/AIDS face a specific set of challenges including lack of support, poverty, single-parenthood, frequent illness due to low immunity and stigmatization. Shanti Uganda’s Women’s Income Generating group employs HIV positive mothers and grandmothers from Luweero District and gives them the skills training and business skills they need to succeed. The Women work in an outdoor thatch covered building and receive a regular, reliable income every month.
What we provide: They are paid above fair trade prices and products are sold throughout North America with profits going directly to the women and the programs we run. In addition to moral and emotional support members receive:
- Workshops on savings and financial training, literacy skills and business skills
- A bicycle to travel to work and back
- Health supplements and access to all services at the Shanti Uganda Birth House
- Ongoing goal setting support
- A Garden club for all members of Shanti Uganda’s Women’s Income Generating Group, increasing their access to land and food security
- Onsite Community Garden providing fresh vegetables to all antenatal, labouring and postnatal clients
- Monthly Community Garden workshops for clients and community members covering nutrition, organic gardening techniques, sustainable agriculture and food preparation
Wish to contribute to our Women’s Group Fund? Take action today: