Is your heart filled with love for pregnant women? Have you wanted to support them in their pregnancy and birth experience using both time honoured and cutting edge techniques?
Doula Training Retreat
October 2017 on the beautiful grounds of Shanti Uganda
Are you, or do you aspire to be a doula, student midwife, student nurse, childbirth educator or just an informed friend or family member? Now imagine an all inclusive training, filled with childbirth philosophy, historical background, emergency childbirth measures, and much, much more. And, imagine it in Uganda, one of the most beautiful and welcoming countries in the world!
Each workshop is personalized, to some extent, depending on the background and needs of the participants. However, the following topics are always included:
- Working in an international environment
- Cross cultural work in your home community
- How to work with other birth professionals in various settings and environments
- History of midwifery, labor support, and childbirth education on the western world
- The rise of the Cesarean
- Politics of childbirth and the birth room
- The physiology and psychology of the childbearing year
- Explaining and understanding risk in childbirth
- Working with abuse survivors
- Supporting a family during a stillbirth or infant loss
- Emergency childbirth measures
- Twins, breech and vaginal birth after Cesarean (vbac) births
- Best practices in pregnancy and birth
- Working at an out of hospital birth
- How to set up a profitable and legal birth business
The Shanti Uganda International Doula Program places a significant focus on cross cultural work. If you have an interest in international development, international maternal/child health (MCH) or Global Health, or working with diverse populations within your own community, this training is for you!
Our workshop attendees also have the opportunity to learn from our wonderful staff, and neighbouring healthcare professionals, and engage in activities specific to Shanti Uganda. These include listening to our head midwife describe birthing practices in Uganda, attending a talk by our resident Traditional Birth Attendant/Doula, describing her role in modern Ugandan childbirth, visiting the local government hospital, learning from Shanti Uganda’s local herbalist about the use of traditional medicinal plants, tracking rhinos on an afternoon walking safari, visiting a traditional drum store, and attending a bonfire with our Shanti Uganda family.
This Training is for:
Aspiring doulas, student midwives, medical students, perinatal therapists, and birth workers of any other stripe, as well as those with an existing practice and previous experience
No experience is necessary other than a deep passion for pregnancy, childbirth and supporting birthing women and their families. This training is especially relevant for those who work or desire to work internationally, or within a community cross cultural environment.
How to Attend
For more information, including how to register for our training, please fill out this form and you will be contacted by our Director of Business Operations, Kate Hyde. Please feel free to reach out to her with any questions or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All of the proceeds of this trip support Shanti Uganda’s work to improve infant and maternal health, provide safe woman-centered care, and support the wellbeing of birthing mothers as well as women living with HIV in the District of Luwero, Uganda. When you register for this course you are directly contributing to the improvement of infant and maternal health in this community.
Total program fees are $2675 CAD. A $500 nonrefundable, nontransferable deposit is required upon registration to reserve your spot.
- Nine Nights Accommodation (double occupancy, including our last night at the Entebbe Wildlife Centre!)
- In Country Travel (including transport to and from the airport)
- All Meals
- Comprehensive Doula Training
- A Course Manual & Certificate of Attendance
- Retreat Experiences
- Transport and entrance fee to Zhiwa Rhino Sanctuary
- Medical Insurance
- Inoculations & Medications
- Personal Spending
- Additional Snacks & Drinks